With over 20 years of experience working in houses and apartments in the Pasadena, Maryland area, we have seen firsthand the importance of maintaining a clean home when there are children, especially from the first month of birth to 3 years of age. Between these ages, we recommend that at least a general cleaning is done 2 times a week minimum!Cleaning in a home where there are children cannot be underestimated. With the energy and curiosity typical of their age, young children are constantly interacting with their environment. Parents and caregivers must be aware of how this environment can affect their physical and mental health. Because if they do not, this can cause damage or even the death of a child.
Based on our experience working in the cleaning industry, we are going to mention very important points that you should keep in mind when it comes to cleaning homes with children.
Table of contents:
- The importance of cleaning in homes with children
- The risks of bacteria and how to minimize them
- The dangers of a messy home and tips to keep it organized
- A list of common objects that can be dangerous for children
- How a professional cleaning company can contribute to the safety of your home
- How Misty Clean home cleaning experts can help you!
For a Smooth Stovetop
Hands to mouth: A common behavior in children
One of the most common behaviors in young children is putting their hands in their mouths. This behavior, completely normal in children, poses a risk if the objects or surfaces they have been in contact with are not clean.
Bacteria, viruses, and other germs can easily spread through toys, door handles, and any objects that children can touch. From there, they can bring these potential threats to their mouths, where they can be ingested. The best way to minimize this risk is to ensure regular and effective cleaning of the surfaces and objects that children come into contact with.
In the case of our company, when we know that there are young children in the house, we always recommend our parents to pay extra attention to these details and if they wish, we can collaborate with this type of cleaning under one of our personalized plans and deep cleaning services.
Some of the most common bacteria in homes are:
- E. coli: This bacterium can be found in contaminated food and on surfaces that have not been properly cleaned after preparing food, especially raw meat. E. coli infection can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and fever.
- Salmonella: Salmonella is also commonly found in contaminated food and can survive on surfaces that have not been properly cleaned. Salmonella infection can cause diarrhea, fever, and abdominal pain.
- Staphylococcus aureus: This bacterium can be found on the skin and in the nasal passages and can spread to surfaces through contact. If surfaces are not regularly cleaned, the bacterium can survive and cause skin infections or food poisoning if ingested.
- Campylobacter: This bacterium is commonly found in raw meats, especially chicken, and can contaminate surfaces during food preparation. Campylobacter infection can cause diarrhea, fever, and abdominal pain.
- Streptococcus: This bacteria can survive on surfaces and personal objects like toothbrushes and can cause throat and skin infections.
It is important to remember that good hygiene and regular surface cleaning can help reduce the risk of infection from these and other bacteria.
Note: Normally children contract these types of bacteria after finding objects on the floor or putting their hands in their mouths after touching some object or surface that is contaminated.
The danger of a messy home
A messy home can present several risks to young children. Objects left on the floor can cause trips and falls. Also, small objects can be a choking hazard if children put them in their mouths.
On the other hand, a messy place can cause stress and anxiety in both children and adults. A disorganized environment can be overwhelming and hinder concentration and learning.
By maintaining a clean and tidy home, you will create a safer and calmer environment for children, allowing them to develop better.
Next, I am going to give you a list of the most common objects that we see daily that can be very dangerous for children and with which you should be extra cautious.
Some of the most common ones are:
- Small toys or small parts of toys: Toys with small parts or that are small enough to fit in a child’s mouth can be a choking hazard.
- Toys with strings, straps, or cords: These can get tangled around a child’s neck and pose a strangulation hazard.
- Toys with sharp edges or points: Toys that are not properly designed may have sharp edges or tips that can cause cuts or punctures.
- Bicycles, skateboards, roller skates: These toys can cause serious injuries if children fall or collide while using them, especially if they are not wearing appropriate safety gear.
- Toys that fire projectiles: Toys that fire projectiles, like dart guns, can cause injuries to the eyes and other parts of the body.
- Balloons: Balloons can be dangerous for small children, especially when they are deflated or broken. They can pose a choking hazard.
- Batteries: Batteries are extremely dangerous if a child swallows them. Usually, children tend to find them by taking apart a remote control.
It is important for parents or caregivers to supervise children’s play and ensure that toys are appropriate for their age and are used safely. Also, we recommend regularly inspecting toys for damage or loose parts that may pose a risk.
Maintaining a clean and organized home is crucial for the health and well-being of children. Not only will it contribute to their physical safety, but it will also help create an environment in which they can learn and grow with confidence. Remember, regular cleaning and organization are the best defenses against common home hazards.
If your family has a minor and uses a cleaning service, we recommend that you ask your cleaning team to be extra vigilant if they see or notice something when cleaning that could cause some type of harm to the child and let you know immediately. On our part at Misty Clean, the safety of our clients and their children is a priority and we are always aware to pick up, organize and clean everything that can affect the health of your child.
Now if you need a trusted cleaning company in the Pasadena Maryland area with over 20 years of experience and that cares about the health of your family, we are your best option.
On the other hand, we would love to hear your own experiences and tips on how you keep your home clean and safe for your children. Please feel free to share your ideas and suggestions with us on our social networks. You can find us on Facebook or on Instagram.
Together we can build a community of conscious families committed to the safety and well-being of our children.